Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Volunteer & Brad Lewis Crit

Saturday Volunteer Park:

Fortunately, Volunteer park was dry. Attending were, Dux, Ronnie, Colin, Ian, Jamie and Myself. In the pre race meeting we agreed that it would be a good day to whoop some ass and get in the break. As we all lined up I heard that a cute young lady friend of Jiri Senkyrik was seen flashing the pack. I, unfortunately missed this.

As the race began there was almost immediately a group of five that went up the road including our own Ian ‘d’ Mensha. It eventually got reeled back as the rest of us moved with counters. I’m not sure if it was the first or second prime, but Ian defninitely took one of the early ones. Maybe halfway through the race Adrian “The Hungarian” Hedgevary moved off the front and Jamie bridged up to check it out. The two of them would trade of pulls to stay away for the win. Apparently, as the end of the race approached Jamie saw the pain in the eyes of Adrian and at that moment understood the hardship he had gone though growing up as a foreigner in this great nation. Thus, out of pity, Jamie sat up and let Adrian take the win.

Meanwhile in the pack, it was a little clogged up but Gin Optics still had two in the top ten going into the last lap, Galen in 6th and Ian in 10th. As we came around the last corner Lang, who was leading out Cooper pulled left as Cooper was coming around to the left and the two of them successfully crashed out each other and yours truly in the process. Ian was able to maneuver around the mess and take third in the field sprint for 5th overall. Gin Optics again, with multiple spots on the podium.

Sunday Brad Lewis Crit.

On Easter Sunday, as you may remember, it was raining really hard. At the start line was Dux, Colin, Ian, Jamie, and myself. The highlight of my race was before it even began when I received a call up, not for winning any race, or for being one to watch but for having been nominated Seattle’s Sexiest Cyclists by The Stranger’s staff. I got my picture taken with and a kiss from one of the three HOTTEST PODIUM GIRLS EVER!

The race began and it was very fast from the gun. As I understand, about a third of the pack dropped out in the first 15 minutes. Ian, Jamie and I worked to follow and counter all the important moves. The decisive move came when Adrian Hegevary got a little gap off the front all by himself. Ryan Iddings (U-23 national champion and pro mtb rider) attacked for the bridge and I covered. I clung for dear life onto the wheel of this skinny kid as he pulled me around for more than a lap and a half. During this time Sam Johnson got away from the group and attempted to bridge up to Ryan and I. I eventually pulled through and by the end of my short pull Sam had caught up to us. Ryan apparently didn’t like my pull because he decided to attack my suffersome ass instead of pulling through nice and smooth. I rode myself cross eyed trying to catch onto his wheel but to no avail. Sam Johnson, however, was able to move from my wheel up to Ryan’s.

Sam and Ryan would catch up to Adrian and the three of them would lap the field with Sam taking the win. Morgan Shmitt would make a solo bridge attempt and finish in front of the pack for 4th. Kenny Williams and Jamie would take first and second in the field sprint to round out the podium.

No comments:

Post a Comment