Saturday: Mason Lake #1.
While it was snowing here in Seattle, somehow it was bright and sunny at Mason lake. Attending were Dux, JOD, Tyler, Colin, Ian, me and Dr. Strangelove. During our pre race meeting Dux reminded us that the first mason lake has been won from a long break every year for the past six years. While Jamie is our strongest rider at the moment the plan was for him not to get into the early break so that he might save his strength for Sunday’s race which had Washington cup points (and cash). We acknowledged that both Ian and I have been riding pretty well and would be good candidates for an early break, but the general plan was to move with the natural flow of the pack and cover breaks as they formed. As I like to say: “Don’t initiate, anticipate”.
The race began and it was go, go, go from the start. Within the first 4 miles I’m pretty sure at least everybody had covered at least one move. By the end of the first lap the break was established: a seven man group with a number of strong riders including Aj, Ben Rhodes (Second Ascent), Kyle Farrell (Garage), Ian “De-Mencia” Mensher, me (G-spot), and former teammate Shawn “Mr. March” Ongers. We fairly quickly established a one minute gap which would stick, more or less, for the remainder of the race.
Meanwhile back in the pack, Jamie and team were shutting guys down like a big breasted blond at Seattle bar on a Saturday. But, eventually a chase group of Rob Campbell, Kenny, Hone and Jamie formed. As Jamie had two guys in the break, he had no incentive to work so he sat on as Kenny and Hone proceeded to yell at each other.
While this was happening, at two laps to go, old G-spot was coming unraveled. I tried sitting out a rotation or two and pulling back through. Somehow, whenever I am out of shape I end up in the front group, and I have found that if you sit out completely guys will yell and bitch and start attacking. But if you pull through every few rotations people shut up and deal with it. Unfortunately I did not get enough rest (or training?), because at the beginning of the last lap, Kyle attacked and I got dropped like a bad habit. Fortunately, so did AJ and the Cucina Freska rider. In my oxygen deprived state cruising in no mans land between the break and the pack I saw a large white object approaching fast. It was Jamie. AJ and I hopped on his wheel as he motored by looking poised to catch the break. I decided that no matter how tired I was I would work to help him catch the break. I pulled through once and my legs reminded me that they had given their two miles notice four miles ago. Jamie continued with AJ cross eyed and glued to his wheel.
I drifted back to the pack as some late attacks were being launched. It was bit of a blur but I remember a murderous look in JOD’s stride as he launched off the front with a Hagens rider, Chris Parrish. He and Parrish would go on to catch Jamie just as AJ was popped. Unfortunately, at about that time, Ian was reminded that it was important to eat when in the break for 68 miles. Jamie, JOD and Parrish passed him as he was swerving and mumbling to himself something about penguins (or so I hear).
Shawn Ongers would take the win with Ben Rhodes and Kevin rolling in a little behind. Next was JOD, Jamie and Parrish. JOD attacked at 800 and took 4th Jamie rode Hagen’s wheel until 150 meteres to come around him for 5th.
All in all, we showed very effective racing as a team. We were the only team with two guys in break and the only team with two guys in an effective bridge. Room was left in Ian and my performance which is fine by me. Let Sean take mason lake, I’ll take the later races.
Sunday:
Again, with hurricane sleet and snow covering the state, we raced in the small pocket of sunshine. Attending were the same crew from Saturday minus Dux (Sweetnes, De-Mensha, the Kid, JOD, G-spot and Strangelove). This mostly flat, power course suits a rider like Jamie, and he is fit right now. So our plan was to get Jamie into a break at some point, to rack up the Washington Cup points, Series points and cash. Otherwise, we would move with the pack and anticipate the attacks.
From the gun the race was fast and punchy. There was attack after attack. I heard the race described as a 60 mile crit. AJ (Hagens), remarked to me at one point that more of these guys should have spent 70 miles in the break the day before, then they wouldn’t be so goddamn anxious. But it worked out well for us. Ian and I covered a bit more early and JOD and Colin gave some throttle a little later. Of special enjoyment for me was sitting on Hone and Tubs’s wheels as they moved up and attacked. Both guys telegraph their attack way before they move.
So the attacks were launched and the team responded. Midway through the race Adrian Hedgevary went solo off the front where he stayed for almost two laps. We were not phased by this as we all saw that the overall aggression in the pack would bring him back as it eventually did.
We did miss one move that got away with about a lap and a half to go. JOD, Tyler and Sweetness rallied to the front and chased down the break like a bunch of rabid dogs. This was a great move because we saved Ian for the sprint, Jamie for the late move and allowed me to finish with the pack (by that time my legs were blown out so bad, I barely hung onto pack).
Another thing that this chase did was string out the pack almost to the point of snapping. This is when breaks are much more likely to go. Jamie smelled the opportunity and moved up to go with whatever broke off the front. Sure enough, a five man group got away with Tubs, Herriott, AJ, Parrish, and our own Dr. Strangelove. Out of this five man group Jamie would take Second, by a tire’s width to Northwest sprinter and marriage pro* Ian Tubs.
In the field sprint our Ian “De” Mensher would take fourth to Ross sparrow, Dave Rocket Richter, and Aaron Levin. Two more riders back was Colin and then the bulk of the pack.
All in all, it was an excellent day of racing by the Gin Optics Cycling team. Everybody stepped up and saw where and how they could be effective in bringing in our goal, whether they were covering, chasing our making that important move. In my opinion it was a fantastic way to start a season. Cheers boys!
*Marriage Pro refers to a guy who’s wife pays for him to race. He does not need or have a job but to race his bike.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment